February 3, 2009

I'm a Cruel Parent

This all goes back a very long time ago. For those of you that didn't know me when I was younger let me explain a little.
As a kid I struggled for a very, very, long time with thumb sucking. If you ask Steve he will tell you that I quit when I was 18, (he doesn't know) it was much sooner then that but I did suck my thumb for a long time.
My Mother thought that when I went to elementary school i would quit because the children would make fun of me. This never happened because I was so cool (and I was pretty tough and would have beaten them up if they did). I finally did stop before I went to Jr. High out of fear of being made fun of.(that's a more sensitive age I guess)
Because of these experiences as a child you can imagine why I am so anti thumb sucking now. I don't want my children to have to go through that. Jacob has been very determined to suck on his hand. I am always taking it out of his mouth and he will not take a pacifier so this method is best thing for it. He often has one if not both hands wrapped with a burp cloth so that he can not suck on it. I know that it is mean but a mother has to do what a mother has to do.

5 comments:

Alli said...

ha ha ha oh pam.. you crack me up! I very much remember this!! and I think what you are doing isn't that mean.. ha ha ha

Alicia Bunderson said...

Good for you Pam! Stick with it..I to didn't stop sucking my thumb for a while...but I did quite in Elementary school cuz I wanted my ears pierced. But I am anti thumb suck also!

Katie James said...

Lets be honest... you don't want him sucking his thumb because no one wants to pay for orthodontia! More power to you sister! Cut off his hands if you have to... just kidding :)

Clark Family said...

I remember when I was little my mom would tell me that she went to witch school when I disagreed with her on something. So maybe you just went to witch school. HA HA HA. Stay strong he'll never remember it!

FurrFun said...

So funny! I was actually talking to Brian about this a week or so ago (I can't remember why it even came up) but I remember that retainer thing that you wore that was supposed to help you stop sucking your thumb. So, I congratulate you for being way on top of the thumb sucking thing so your kids don't have to go through what you did! (But I do have to admit you were a pretty cute kid even when you sucked your thumb!)