September 8, 2010

Jackson's Birth Story

I figure that I should write down Jackson's birth story and some of you want to know the details so here it is.

To start this story you must know that my first two children both came a few days early so I was planning on this baby coming a few days early, my due date was Aug 27th, because of this assumption my mother came into town to be with us Aug 24th and was planning on leaving Sept 1st.

When my mom got here we started all of our projects that we wanted to get done; a quilt for new baby, a Cinderella dress for Miranda's Halloween costume, and a few mending items. We (more like she) finished everything and no baby yet. I was starting to get frantic, by Sunday all I could think about was when I was going to have the baby because my mom was going home on Wednesday. Through this whole thing Steven was great not to ask to often when I was going to have the baby and make me more anxious.

Thankfully my mother was willing and able to stay one more week so it gave me some time. On Tuesday I had been feeling little tiny contractions all throughout the day and I had a Dr's apt that afternoon. I had progressed a little when the Dr checked me but we decided that it would be worth it to stay and strip my membranes. I will tell you that stripping membranes sounds so much worse then it really is. The fact that they use the word stripping makes it sound so painful but ti was nothing, a little pressure was that worst thing to complain about. Anyway after that I had to sit for 45 min on the monitors just to make sure everything was okay. The great thing about that is I could prove to myself that all the little tightening that I was feeling really were little contractions and not just my imagination.

Well that night while sleeping I was awoken three or four times from contractions that were hard enough to wake me up but nothing followed them so I went back to sleep. At around 5:30 in the morning I woke up to some hard contractions and went downstairs to sit on the couch and watch Steven exercise so that he could help me time my contractions. For one full hour they were about 4-6 minutes apart, because of this Steven thought it was time but they were not hard enough so I told him we needed to wait to call the Dr. Right after that they slowed way down and were only about 20 min apart, and so we wait.
During this whole thing we were still planning on going to an orientation for Miranda's preschool that she was scheduled to start the next week. At first they didn't have time in the morning class so we were going to the afternoon class orientation but at 9:15 we got a phone call that said there was room in the morning class if we wanted it and we could go down to the orientation right then if we wanted to with Miranda. We decided to jump and run, thankfully my mom was there to watch Jacob and Steven and I took Miranda and went. Of course during this whole time I am having contractions on and off so while we are sitting there listening to the teachers I would touch Steven's arm each time I had a contraction and he kept track of the time (I was about 7 min apart at this time).
After all this excitement and a busy morning I still didn't feel like it was time so when we got home we got everyone together and went for a walk. We walked to the park, Steven and I went on and walked further and then back to the park where I proceeded to walk around the park in circles to try and get the contractions to come harder and stronger.
Back home after lunch they were still sporadic but I was getting anxious so I paged my Dr. He called me back quickly and I told him what was going on and trying to decide if it was time when he asked em to just come into his office so the he could check me and see if I had progressed.
By this time I felt like it had to be time (I felt like I had been in labor for two days) so off we went with my hospital bag in hand. Thankfully he checked me and said that I was dilating well and fully effaced so we did need to go to the hospital and he would come after he was done at the office and break my water if I hadn't progressed much further by then.
So that was the plan and that is what we did (except we ran home real quick to get one thing Steven wanted and tell my mom and the kids what was going on). The hospital was waiting for us to arrive and we went upstairs to get my IV, draw a little blood, and sign all the paper work. After they were settled I sat in the recliner and tried hard to relax through contractions. I wasn't to long until Dr. Schafer arrived and I moved over to the bed for him to check me and break my water. I was dilated to a 7 by the time he arrived, he broke my water and then the real contractions started. For any of you who know what i am talking about after the water breaks and the baby does not have a cushion around him you really feel the force of the contractions along with each contraction the more water flowing out of you while the baby moves further down. It really is a crazy feeling but it takes intense concentration to not tense up during that time. Thankfully he was ready to come in less then 30 min, the Dr came in, everything was ready to go and two pushes later Jackson arrived into this world. He is beautiful and healthy, of course the first thing the nurse said that took him was he had huge feet and even Steven confirmed to me that they were bigger then my other kids' feet (which they both had huge feet also).
I was so happy with the experience of it all and I wouldn't change a thing. I was so grateful that i went into labor on my own because both Steven and I love the excitement and anticipation of it all and I prefer it that way. I did tear a little bit but 3 stitches later I was just great and Steven I got some time to sit and enjoy our new son together.
Jackson weighed in at 8lbs 14 oz and 21 inches long. He had a beautiful round head, a crooked nose, and long skinny limbs.
We love him and are so grateful that we has come to us and are also grateful that he is happy and healthy.

2 comments:

Alicia Bunderson said...

Pam, I just think you are so amazing! I also think that stripping the membranes is no biggy. I think its so great you have short labors, and that your babies come with 2 or 3 pushes. totally jealous. I pushed for 3 freakin hours with Morgan. Also you are just a trooper for going to orientation while you were in labor. you are just awesome. Love ya girl. I'm glad everything went well and he sure is a cutie!

Clark Family said...

congrats!!! He is adorable and it makes me anxious for our little squirt.