May 16, 2012

Use Your Words

 
Jackson is 20 months old.  He is wonderful!  He is a happy boy, very active, and already playing pretend with his brother and sister.  My concern with Jackson lately is that is still has not said 1 word.  Sure he makes sounds, and he communicates by pointing, grunting, or body language, but that doesn't seem like enough to me.  Of course everyone wants to offer there theory that maybe is is just a late bloomer, or his brother and sister talk for him (which I not true because I don't let it).  The late bloomer thing may be true but I am unconvinced, so we have started down the road of early intervention to see if there is a problem, and what we can do about it.  Hearing tests are first along with a speech pathologist to figure out how we can help our little guy.  We love him and know he will talk someday, but I am having a hard time being patient.  I will keep you posted if we find out anything interesting.

3 comments:

Kalli said...

Good for you for doing something about it! You'll never regret that :)
I have the same concerns about Sam but he is only 9 months so I have to cool it a while...Mark things I'm being paranoid I hope he's right!

Terri Griffith said...

Nathan didn't start talking 2 1/2 yrs. I was really worried when at two he still didn't really speak, he had perfected the point and grunt to get what ever he needed.It bothered me a lot but none of his doctors ever seemed that concerned. I finally switched him to a new doctor just before he turned 2 1/2 and voiced my concerns about his ear infections keeping him from talking and he put him on a long term antibiotic and within a few weeks he was practically talking in sentences. I have been told a lot that some kids wait to speak until they can say whole sentences. good luck!

etreiersen said...

I am glad you are getting him involved in early intervention. That is great news.
I have my Masters Degree in Child Development, and I have seen many parents wait too long to get help. Keep us posted, I am interested what the speech pathologist will say.