November 27, 2011

A Cultural Experience

A few weeks ago for Steven's class he brought the whole class to our house to experience a real Hispanic meal. These two wonderful women from our ward came over and taught us all to make corn tortillas from scratch, make chicken with Latin seasoning, black beans, and queso fresco. It was great.
The students had to try and make there own tortillas and they were funny looking
The is Mercedes and she made it look so darn easy to make the tortillas. We were laughing pretty hard because after the students made theirs she was cooking them and she was flattening them and fixing them as they came to her.
The food was delicious and now I am going to have to try and make my own. The funniest part for me was buying all the ingredients for this meal. I went to Walmart and purchased the chicken, the Maseca (corn flour), Con Culantro Y Achiote (latin seasoning), queso fresco (fresh cheese), and the lady checking me out was Hispanic and she looked at me strange and just couldn't hold it back, she said "what are you making" I laughed and told her was I was doing and we laughed together about how it is not everyday you see a young white girl buying these kind of ingredients. It was funny.

No comments: